Skip to main content

Katrina

As devastating as it was Katrina has left thousands stranded in its affected areas. New Orleans is deep under water and most of the pumping stations have failed to keep abreast with rising waters in the area. I see pictures of chaos in the state. I have two concerns. The first being that there is a large Pakistani physician community in New Orleans and most of them have not been able to contact their relatives thus far. Mainly because all the telephone links are down. This is a cause of grave concern to me and I believe to the families of these individuals. May Allah keep them safe, wherever they are.
My second concern is more of a cynical nature. I look at all those pictures of mayhem going on in the state and can't help laugh at the situation. Not that I am a sadist who derives pleasure from pain but because I see the most civilized nation on this planet behaving like idiots on a run. I hear the reports of shots being fired and aid work being hampered by hooligans and a smile spreads over my face with the thought that these are the same people who have been pointing finger at scenes of anarchy in our under developed countries. They are the first ones to point out our barbaric behaviour. They are the first ones who tell us that we need not fight over basic amenities as we can always solve problems of poverty through dialogue. Dialogue my ass. When you are hungry you kill to eat. That is a simple rule. And we see those very civilized people of the most developed nation are doing this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Arduino 1

This holiday season I decided to gift myself some basic electrical components in the form of a Arduino UNO set from Elegoo. I have always had a desire to tinker with electronics and in gifting myself this basic set I am now starting on a journey to quench my inner electrical workman's thirst. I hope to develop this hobby as I move forward and will, from time to time, post about it here on the blog. As the journey moves forward I am sure to run into trouble and issues. But as they say you can not master anything without first being a fool at it, so I have decided to remain a fool at it until I am a little good at it. To start with, I do possess some elementary knowledge in electronics and electronic circuits. I intend to further my knowledge using the world wide web and following some very useful video channels on youtube. I will first start with some very basic projects to familiarize myself with Arduino and basic electronic circuits and techniques such as soldering. Then graduall...

iPad 2

The new iPad is worth it's money. Sleek slender design is a plus and so is the light weight. I am not really impressed by the camera as the pictures with both front and back cameras are pixelated and very amateurish looking. It's handy in the sense that I can carry it around while making rounds and access patient information on the go. This makes life easier and for someone like myself this means much less paper waste. I think one added advantage is that I will waste less time on writing down all the information on a piece of paper every morning and will be able to pull it up anytime I want to do so or need to do so. This gives me more time to think and reflect on the patient and spend more time with the patient rather than time in front of a bulky computer. There are new apps I am discovering every day. However there is still dearth of good medical apps that have been modeled for iPad. This makes the productivity of the iPad a little less but still the benefits of having a w...

Elections '08

Parliamentary Elections are just 12 hours away in Pakistan. Unlike all previous elections i have reached the voting age for these elections. Now i can use my right to vote to select a candidate that i think represents future and progress. I can be part of the democratic process. I can be a miniature vector of change or towards change. But i will not use my right to vote. that means i will not participate in the process of electing representatives who will rule my country and my fate for the next five years, even more if they get their way like this present dictator, Musharraf. In doing so i will loose my right to object to any actions of the 'elected', more so selected representatives of this country. but this can be debated and in most probability i will not pass from any opportunity to pointing out wrong doings and mischief in the character of those who lead my unfortunate country in the future. I will not vote because i know the outcomes of the elections have been pr...